In celebration of getting my ring and having our offer accepted on the house we headed downtown on our cruisers for a few drinks. It was an unusually interesting night where we met a wide variety of strange and friendly people. Usually when we go to McCarthys, we sit in the back and talk to one another, but Saturday night we were perched in the middle of the bar chatting it up with new people every hour. Here are the highlights:
- Free shot of Jamison Whiskey from the bartender as a congrats for our engagement
- Made a friend with a guy who said he proposed to his longtime girlfriend and she rejected him. Later, he found out she said no because she was cheating on him. Free Tecate from lonely boy.
- Friend of lonely boy (let's call him Snoz because he has a big nose) came in to find him and we all started talking. He finds out we're engaged and for the next three hours he wants to be our best friend and keeps saying over and over how great we are together and gives a lot of "awws" like a girl might. Flattering but his excitement was a bit strange.
- I came back from the bathroom and Steve was talking to what we later dubbed as "Dr Evil Mini Me". He seemed friendly enough at first, but then he just kept bragging about his PhD and how he is a medical doctor at some local clinic and how rewarding it is (BORING). So, to act interested, Steve starts talking about his time working in a medical lab in the Army. Instead of responding like normal polite people do, Dr. Evil just stared at me pervertedly while muttering dumb things about his job in a weird voice through big gross chapped lips.
- Then there were the Englishmen. By this time, I had a few too many Bud Lights, but as I recall, they were traveling around the United States and somehow found themselves in San Luis Obispo while driving down the 101 from San Francisco. They were round and jolly with lots of smiles for everyone. I've never seen two guys quite as cheerful as they were.
- We had been out since about 3 in the afternoon, so by 10, we were ready to call it a night. But, not before heading to Sandy's Liquor to say hi to our good friend, Sal. Here's what we did at Sal's Liquor store.
- Before leaving Sal's we ended up in conversation with a couple in their 40's celebrating the wife's birthday. They were visiting from Seattle, here on a "vacation" for her birthday since her husband had lived in SLO for 10 years prior. However, as I got deeper into the conversation with the woman, I found out they were on the run because her husband had a few too many DUI's and they had a warrant out for his arrest. But, to their misfortune, they were driving through town the day before, got pulled over and the husband was sent to jail overnight. He bailed himself out in the morning and now here they were, happy as could be, all dressed up for a night on the town, looking for somewhere to go dancing. I also found out that they were "realllllly into marijuana" and luckily smoked all of it on their road trip down to SLO before getting pulled over by the cops in town because the cops searched the entire car. CLASSY!
More pictures of the new house: